Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Living a frugal life is tough


Anyone wondering why there have been a lack of posts lately? We have been busy.

My hubby (aka the hottie on the roof) and I have decided that we would save money by doing everything we are capable of ourselves. So the latest project has been our roof. The past couple of months I have had to keep a plastic bowl on the couch where the roof would leak whenever it rained. It has not been fun. So we are doing a complete tear off and then putting a new roof on. My husband has been doing the work on the roof each night when he returns from work and my job has been the clean up. (You can see how hard I've been working in that dumpster...



but look at what I still have left!)



I can't tell you how happy I will be when this project is done. Although we saved a ton of money we didn't have, it has been so much work. We are exhausted. And we haven't had energy or time to do much else. Hence the title "Living a frugal life is tough."

I know that people have different ability levels. And in no way would I recommend that everyone do their own roof, but I suggest looking into you expenses and see if there is anything that you have been paying someone else to do that maybe you could do yourself. It may be tough. It might not be fun. But in the end, you've done it yourself. I love the feeling of accomplishing something. Plus it is a whole lot cheaper.

We recently had our electric changed from the old fuses to circuit breakers or whatever it is. I really have no idea about this stuff. We had to pay an electrician to do most of the important stuff because neither one of us knew enough or felt comfortable enough to tackle this job. But my hubby and I decided to change all the outlets and wires ourselves (our whole system is from the 60s when the house was built and needs to be updated to three prong and what not). Even if we get a wire or outlet changed every other day or even one a week, we are saving a ton of money and will eventually get it done.

Have you completed any interesting DIYs lately? I'd love to hear about them.

1 comment:

  1. I know where my money is going I pay some one else to cook for me lol [we have been eating out alot lately... I sick of it!] Hopefully you get your project done soon thanks for following

    ReplyDelete