Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Book Review: The Goodness of God



I love to read, but have never had the money to get books. The library sometimes works, but if you are a blogger, Blogging for Books is awesome. Waterbrook Multnomah sent me this book for free to review through their blogging for books program.


Please note that this has nothing to do with saving money.


So here is a personal note. If you are at all like me, you have at one point or many felt like the world was against you, like everything was going wrong. Well, for me things seem to come in 3s. I had a flat tire, then my hubby got laid off, and then my car wouldn't even start. And that was just last week. So now put this three pattern into work over the past 5 years. I won't even get into the list. I know that this happens and it happens to all of us. But I was starting to break down.

Then this book was dropped off. It is called The Goodness of God, by Randy Alcorn. There were so many points that I loved and that brought me back to my faith. I started marking the pages I wanted to read again. It wasn't that the author, Randy Alcorn had said anything new, it was just the way he put it and at a time that I really needed to read it.
Randy went through all the arguments of why some believe that there is no god and how they use suffering to prove it. And he had great rebuttals for all of them. One of the best pieces that I gained in this section of the book was a reminder that God never said that being Christian was going to be easy. He never promised that we would make all of our bills on time and live in prosperity. In fact, the Bible puts the life of a Christian in quite a different light. Have you read some of the disciples life stories? But I believe that in my hear that there is a reason for everything and that God will work it all out. This came out loud and clear throughout the book.

I really like the book and here are some reasons why. It reminded me that when I am given a little extra I should give to those that don't have it. I was reminded that God is not at fault. He gave me free will and I should suck it up and take responsibility for my actions. Alcorn showed through examples that suffering and tragedy really can be used for the positive. We might not be able to see it now or even ever, but it is there and might be for someone else's life. And most of all it reminded me that even when times are bad, trust God and pray.

Now, I am not sure that I agreed 100% with every sentence in this book. There was a part about how any one of us could be a serial killer or rapist given different circumstances. I want to read this over again because maybe I interpreted what he was saying incorrectly. But in the end I think he was just trying to prove the point that a sinner is a sinner no matter what the crime. Evil is evil.

Overall, if you are suffering and starting to lose hope and lose faith, or if you just need the words to share with someone that you know is going through a rough time, this is the book. It is an easy read and full of provoking stories and scripture.

No comments:

Post a Comment