Monday, December 20, 2010

Frugal and Green

Here are a couple of ideas my daughter and I tried out. These are frugal and fun and will make your tree look beautiful. Your little loves will probably have some fun too.




The first is a salt dough.

You'll need:

4 cups of flour
1 cup of salt
1.4 cups of water
paint, glitter, and cookie cutters

I made the dough first and then rolled it like I was making cookies. We used cookie cutters to get Christmas themed shapes and put a hole at the top for a string or hook. You'll want to make the hole a little bit bigger than needed because it might shrink as you bake.

I then baked the "ornaments" at 350 degrees for about 7 minutes.



The hard part was being patient enough to wait for them to cool. Once they did we had a fun time painting and decorating. My 5 year old loved this!




My second idea uses egg cartons. I cut two of the small compartments out and painted white to create a snowman.





We then used felt and paint to decorate. I forgot to take a picture of the final project, but they are quite cute.


I have seen a similar idea turning the 2 egg holes into a penquin.

1 comment:

  1. love the cookie ornament idea! I ahve seen it a few places and will definitely be trying ti next year with my girls! Looks so simple & fun!! Just right for us! :)

    new follower via a blog hop! would love a follow back at
    http://www.momto2poshlildivas.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete