Monday, March 7, 2011

Book Review: Plain Wisdom


Waterbrook Multnomah sent me this book for free to review through their blogging for books program.


Please note that this has nothing to do with saving money.



I was very excited for the early chance to read Plain Wisdom by Cindy Woodsmall and Miriam Flaud. The book is not released until March 15th.

Plain Wisdom is a story about two worlds coming together through a friendship. Miriam is an Old Order Amish and Cindy is a novelist whose stories often have an Amish connection. I believe that Cindy meets Miriam as she is trying to write a new novel. She and her youngest son start visiting Miriam and her family to get a taste of the Amish lifestyle. As the two begin their visits the ladies realize that they have more in common than they thought.

The book is broken up into little chapters almost like devotionals. In each chapter a little bit of their lives is uncovered. I love these stories because they are filled with encouragement, faith, honesty, and hope. Each "recollection, unexpected insight, and humouraous tale" reminded me that each season of life brings its stresses and joys. Most importantly it reminded me to enjoy each season of life and live it through God.

I loved this book. It is sprinkled with recipes and know how from the Amish way of living and a glimpse into a life that really isn't that different than my own. The book was great for a rainy Saturday afternoon or just a chapter each morning to reflect and pray upon. Any way you put it, this book was uplifting and comoforting. I would recommend it to any mom or woman that just wants something good to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment