Thursday, October 6, 2011

Book Reivew - Desiring God : Revised Edition

I have shared many times that Waterbrook Multnomah through "Blogging for Books" sends bloggers books for free and in return I share my honest opinions. The latest book I received was Desiring God : The revised edition by John Piper.

Desiring God, Revised Edition: Meditations of a Christian Hedonist

I have to tell you that this book took me a long time to get through. I started in early summer and just couldn't find the time to pick it up and keep going. It wasn't that it was poorly written or not interesting, it just wasn't what I was looking for that moment. However, now that  I have finished the book I think that it is a very interesting take on faith and God that you might not typically get when sitting in a church pew.

In the title it mentioned hedonists, or people that are in the constant pursuit of pleasure and happiness. Typically, from my religion classes and Christian background, it seems that anyone that believes in God and wants to do his will is basically led to believe that life will be full of sacrifice and some even paint our futures to look miserable for rest of outr lives as we "do God's will". However, Piper explains that life should be the pursuit of happiness in God. he basically says that God is most glorified when we are the most satisfied in our lives with Him. And to me this makes much more sense than previous teachings that were used when I was younger.  That  being said, I think that there are many people out there that could take pieces of this book and twist and turn it to sound selfish and not at all what was intended from the author.  So do be careful if you are given exerpts or sentences at a time. This book could be very misconstrued if you do not read the entire piece.

This is a great book for non-believers and for anyone straying from their belief. It is refreshing and compelling and it will force you to rethink about your faith and how you do God's will in your own life. I really encourage you to try it out if it fits your life and needs at this time! 

No comments:

Post a Comment